Saturday, May 1, 2010

Simpsons Round-up!


Yikes, maybe I should change the name of this blog to Simpsons Round-up, huh?

For the record, it is my intention to get back to other posts. I've just been really busy trying to get something going and the Round-up allows me to keep one foot in this blog-o-mine. I've recently started writing information articles for Demand Studios, which produces all sorts of content for sites like eHow, Answerbag and others. I'm still getting a feel for it, as I'm not much for non-fiction, (too disciplined), and the guidelines are pretty strict. I am having fun with it, though. Go figure.

Anyhoo, onto the Round-up:

"The Squirt And The Whale"
04/25/10
The Simpsons decide to embrace a cheaper, alternate source of energy by erecting a wind turbine in their backyard. But when Homer realizes some of the power is being directed to the local electric company, he decides to remove his home from the grid and becomes completely dependent on an unreliable source of power. Meanwhile, a storm erupts, trapping a 150-foot long blue whale ashore, and Lisa and Homer attempt to help the poor creature."


This is the kind of quirky, sweet, off-beat story The Simpsons did so well once upon a time and, in the climate of cynical, angry-disguised-as-hip humor The Simpsons actually had a hand in starting, it's nice to see them attempting to buck the trends by being lighter with more artful and heartfelt sensibilities. Don't get me wrong, I love South Park, (as do Mike Reiss and Al Jean as per this week's chalkboard gag). I also think Seth McFarlane is a talented, funny satirist, (despite certain other's opinions). But The Simpsons at its best is so much more than just mean-spirited parody, and even witty social commentary. It is that perfect blend of humor and heart that makes most forms of storytelling work for me and The Simpsons, to their credit, do not seem to have forgotten. They've just been around a long time and produce a much more varied array of stories.
My point is, I apreciate them standing out from the crowd with a simple, dare I say sweeter story to play off the whole Matt and Trey drama. I doubt that was their intention, per se, but it just reinforced for me why the world may still need The Simpsons.

The opening joke about TIC-TAC-TOE: The Movie was classic as was all the stuff about wind energy up until Lisa discovered the whale, Bluella. It was kind of surprising to see them blow up the whale and I actually believed there would be some explanation after the break - but there wasn't. After the whale died and Homer and Lisa tried to save it's mate, I felt they were going for something a little more serious, which threw me in a good way. I'm always delighted to see this show get back to the art of storytelling. Did everything work? Probably not, but as I say over and over on these roundups, most episodes iron out their wrinkles with repeat viewings. I've little doubt this one will live up to that premise.

Here's some other good stuff from the ep:

- The chalk board gag, which read: "South Park--we'd stand beside you if we weren't so scared." (Nicely done)

- Ralph Wiggum's "Kid-power" and Barney's "Burp-Power" at the Energy Expo.

- Homer comforting Lisa, then turning to Bart: "I'm trying to be a sensitive father you unwanted moron!"

- The bits with the endangered sharks and Homer's invisible dog.

Homer: "From now on, the Simpsons are living...intermittently."

Comic Book Guy: "Behold! I am Captain Kirk from Star Trek 1! 2 ... 5 ... Generations ... Boston Legal." (As an unabashed Star Trek fan, that had me in stitches)

Homer: "I'm not made of money, I'm made of man meat and an a skeleton."

Antonine: "Without that horn, I can't make a living."


Next blog will be about something other than The Simpons, folks. Promise.

D.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment