Sunday, May 16, 2010

Simpsons Round-up!


Man, I've done a lot of these.
I don't know why but I can't seem to churn these out till we're about twenty-four hours away or less from another new one. I think it's new anyway. I'll have to check.

Last Sunday's Mother's Day ep. continued the trend of strong home-stretch outings. Only one or two more left. What really sucks is the finale just so happens to fall on the exact same night of LOST, (dear God, I can't wait!), so I'll have to rearrange my ususal Simpsons-watching tradition. Okay, onto the goodness.

"Moe Letter Blues"
05/09/10
As Mother's Day approaches, Moe narrates an episode in which he writes a letter to Homer, Apu and Reverend Lovejoy, who are vacationing with their children, and threatens to run away with one of their wives. While the trio tries to determine whose wife Moe is referring to, Homer, Lovejoy and Apu flashback to the imtimate moments they inititally ignored between Moe and Marge, Manjula and Helen Lovejoy. But when the boys return from their trip, they're in for the surprise of their lives.


In keeping with season 21's string of firsts, a Mother's Day episode is added to the pantheon. I'm pretty sure this is the first such episode of it's kind, anyway. Perhaps I'm forgetting something. This one was a little out there, which I don't mind, particularly when the last few have been more structured and linear. The narration by Moe seemed like more of a novelty than a story device, but again, there's nothing wrong with a show that's been everywhere and done everthing trying new shit. Thank God there's still new shit to try. I just checked my online source actually and apparently, this story was a loose take-off of the 1949 movie, 'A Letter to Three Wives', so maybe there was some structure in there, after all. Matt Groening has often said one of the show's more affluent inspirations has always been TCM, (Turner Classic Movies). For me too, by the way. Seriosly, that channel's a goldmine.

It was nice to see a few underused faces in the mix. Manjula (not the Jan Hooks version) and Helen Lovejoy. Hell, even Reverand Lovejoy, for that matter, who at least has had a few juicy storylines thrown his way. Also, Mrs. Bouvier, Marge's mom. Glad to see she's still with us, and fiesty as ever. I even caught her talking to her ex, Grampa. Careful, Abe.

Some other stuff I enjoyed was the awesome Itchy and Scratchy silent movie. Perhaps another nod to TCM, the Indian radio station featuring the show, Mahatma or Manotma, The Krusty cruise line, (no doubt, a first-class operation), weasel island, (a great place to get away...and see weasels, lots of'em), Low Blow Boxing and The Zii Dance game, but perhaps the peice de resistance, a guest shot from legendary Price is Right announcer, Don Pardo. You still sound great, Don.

Now for a few funny lines...

Moe: I moved here because on a calculator, the ZIP Code spells "boobs."

Homer: Go ugly up someone else's house, you penis-curling she devils.

Moe: Think of it as a wake-up call from a man with nothin' but a blow-up doll. And even she left me. Shouldn't have used helium.

Manjula: My eyes have more bags than the Darjeeling Limited.
Moe: Hah, that's probably a good one. (That Moe)

Kurt: Milhouse and I are next.
Otto: There's no suspense at your place. Even I hooked up with your old lady. Sorry, kid.
Milhouse: You were my favorite uncle, Uncle Otto.


All in all a fun entry. Onto next week!

D.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment