Saturday, April 24, 2010

Simpsons Round-Up!


Just enough time to get in a quick round-up.

Last week's episode was refreshing. Nothing flashy or guest-voicy. Just a solid bro-mance between Homer and...Chief Wiggum?

It happened. And here's the proof...


"Chief Of Hearts"
04/18/10
Homer is completing his court-ordered community service when he befriends his supervisor, Chief Wiggum, by offering him one of his sandwiches. Touched by the act of kindness, Wiggum assigns the other convicts unpleasant tasks, but allows Homer to join him at the picnic table. They continue to grow close, but when the Chief gets injured during a botched bank robbery, Homer doesn't come through when Wiggum needs him the most. Meanwhile, Bart becomes addicted to Battle Ball, a Japanese game made up of plastic balls and magnetic cards, and his family and teachers try to help him kick the habit."


I could be wrong here, (let's face it, I'm not), but I don't recall The Simpsons ever having a Chief Wiggum-centric storyline. A few times he's had a small b-story, but mostly he's on the periphery with Eddie and Lou - where he belongs.
Just kidding. I actually couldn't believe it when I realized this was a first for the soon-to-be longest running show in history. I didn't think there were many of those left - plausible ones, at least.

All in all, nothing really stood out upon first viewing. As I've said before, The Simpsons - even those post-911 - are like fine wine. They get better with repeat viewing. Ok, so that anology isn't exactly air-tight. What I mean to say is, I'd venture to guess it'll be good for a few laughs on a rainy Saturday afternoon when I'm all "I barely remember this one."

Here's a few standout quotes:

Homer: Community service? But that's work! What about jail?
Judge: Community service!
Homer: No, I want to go to jail. Free food, tear drop tattoos, library books that come to you. I'll serve anything but the community!

Marge: That's drug talk. But I could be mistaken. Just let me listen to a little more out of context.

Bart: How'd a pull up like you get a great card like that?
Ralph: My not-dead grandma sent it from Tokyo.
Bart: Ralph, I will play you for that card.
Ralph: Okay, but if I win, you'll have to teach me how to play this game

Chief Wiggum: I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Cops don't have a lot of friends. Civilians are afraid of us and other cops just remind of us things we want to forget. That's why your friendship is so special to me.
Homer: Chief, me too.
Snake: Umm, you know I've been back here for like ten hours. Any chance of a bathroom break?
Chief Wiggum: Thanks a lot jail bird. Now I have you on burglary and killing a moment.

Chief Wiggum: Who are you, the rules police?
Lou: No, we are the police police.



Blog to you soon,

D.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment