Monday, May 31, 2010

Simpsons Roundup!


Whooey, it's been awhile.

What can I say, I've been busy. My middle-grade novel, Flotsam, is off to a fantastic start and I hope to have it published sometime in 2011. A lofty goal perhaps, but I feel I've got a solid idea backed by a solid outline and even more solid marketing plan. That's all thanks to my friends at The Institute of Children's Literature, with whom I've been working for the past twenty or so months. It's a great program and I've learned quite a bit about the most lucrative fiction market around - children.

More on that another time. Right now, it's all about...

Whaa! Sideshow Bob! Or is it...?


"The Bob Next Door"
05/16/10
Bart becomes convinced that his new neighbor, Walt, is his archenemy, Sideshow Bob (guest voice Kelsey Grammer), disguised and back for revenge. But when Marge tries to convince Bart otherwise by taking him to visit the state penitentiary, a disturbing truth is revealed."


It's always good to see Bart's old nemesis. No, not Dr. Demento, (although that would be pretty good too). Kelsey Grammar reprises his greatest role, (I know, I know, but I stand by that statement), in this, his one-millionth Simpsons appearance, (or something close). It amazes me they keep coming up with ideas for old Bob, but they do and this one, a take-off of that John Woo classic, "Face/Off," works pretty well.

Everyone is, of course, smitten with their new neighbour, except for Bart, who would know that sultry, sinister voice anywhere, which leads to the best line of the episode: Marge: "A lot of people sound like Sideshow Bob. Like Frasier on Cheers." "Or Frasier on Frasier." "Or Lieutenant Commander Tom Dodge in Down Periscope." That one had me rolling in the aisles.

Bob's plan was refreshingly diabolical as well.
Not only did he go to such lengths as to trade faces with his cell mate, "Why do you keep measuring my face?", he also comes up with a great way to kill Bart without being prosecuted, namely to go to the five corners of Springfield and shoot him in one State, let the bullet hit him in another, have him fall in yet another, and have the police respond in still another State. Taken individually, where's the crime? Moohaahaahaa!

Great to have you back, Bob.

Here are a few other noteable standouts in this, the penultimate episode of The Simpsons, Season 21:

Bart: Mom, can I go?
Marge: Is your room clean?
Bart: No.
Marge: Good, that will give me something to do while you're at the game.

Homer: Aw, nothing is ever boobs or ice cream.

Waitress: All the good men are either gay or have no face.

Also watch for the memorable appearance of Homer's new, new, new neighbour, who moves in after Walt/Bob is shipped back to the big house - Flanders' fast-talking cousin.

Nice touch, guys.

I'll soon be back with my last roundup of the season, plus lots more good stuff, so don't you go surfing around.

Later,

D.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment