Sunday, August 9, 2009

Ray Bradbury

I'm ashamed to say I haven't read nearly enough Ray Bradbury. Last night, I began "Bradbury Speaks," his most recent book, (I think. The man is in his 90s for God's sake), which is a collection of essays spanning six frieking decades. All I can say is, what a guy. Seriously, he's who I want to be when I grow up. The man exudes passion for his craft, the glorious craft of word-sculpting, to which I too have dedicated my life. A quote of his, which struck me particularly, pretty much sums up my highest aspiration:

"In my later years, I have looked in the mirror each day and found a happy person staring back. Occasionally I wonder why I can be so happy. The answer is that every day of my life I've worked only for myself and for the joy that comes from writing and creating. The image in my mirror is not optimistic, but the result of optimal behavior."

Well shut my mouth.

You da man, Mr. Bradbury.

Also...

Just thought I'd post something about Taylor Lindsay Noel, a 14 year old gymnast, (now 15), here in Toronto, (who suffered a debilitating injury about a year ago during a competition and is now paralyzed. This beautiful girl is an inspriration to so many, (including yours truly), not only for her unwavering optimism and positivity, but also her determination to live life to the fullest. I just want you to know, Taylor, I think about you every day and wish you all the very best life has to offer. YOU WILL WALK AGAIN.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/678516

I urge you to learn more about this corrageous young girl and her mother and, if so inclined, to donate whatever you can to a community-wide effort to rebuild the crumbling roof of their home.

teamtaylor2008@gmail.com

God bless you.

D.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment