Sunday, April 18, 2010

Simpsons Roundup!


Hello all,

Once again I cut this one a bit close to the wire, since there is a new Simpsons on tonight, (I think). Last week's ep was Mr. Burns-centric, which I believe hasn't been done in awhile. There was a time, of course, where it seemed every other ep featured Springfield's most prolific 114 year-old man, but alas, those days were of a simpler, more naive era -- say, circa 2004-2008-ish...

Okay, let's get this party started.

Last week's installment, entitled American History X-Cellent, (a nice title), goes a little something like this:

"American History X-Cellent"
04/11/10
When the police are called to diffuse a rowdy crowd at Mr. Burns' estate, one of the officers recognizes priceless stolen paintings on the walls, and the maniacal billionaire is taken downtown for questioning. With Mr. Burns gone, Smithers takes charge of the power plant. But when employees take advantage of his good nature, he exacts revenge by forcing the employees to work night and day. These unfair working conditions prompt Homer and his crew to devise a plan to bust out Mr. Burns."


What can I say? This one had loads of potential, and some nice moments, but ultimately, fell kinda flat with me. I'd love for this show to really bust out of the box and get back to leading the pack when it comes to zany, irreverent satire, but sadly, I fear that ship has long sailed. Don't get me wrong, I love The Simpsons and I ALWAYS WILL, (caps=emphasis), but I am getting a bit tired of the same old thing, not to mention trying to defend said same old thing to every Tom, Dick and Harry who thinks they could do better.
I will say, I loved how this ep began, in a prison cell with Mr. Burns preparing to meet his maker. A nice little bit of non-linear storytelling, by the "story" descended rather quickly, for my taste, into the usual shtick, (is that how you spell it? Never mind).
Anyway, I loathe to be seen as 'hating' cuz I'm not. So I'll go into some of the more positives to get the sour taste out of my mouth.

A few good lines of note:

Homer: The war is over and the future won. Past never had a chance, man. (preach on, brother.)

Bart: (glad not to be Lisa's kid) If I was in your tummy I'd poo in your throat. (A sweet line, spiced with vintage Bart)

Burns: The power plant's new annual Fourth of July picnic is this upcoming Saturday.
Homer: Woohoo!
Mr. Burns: I'm afraid you misunderstand. This picnic is for me, you will all be spending your Independence Day slaving away in the hot summer sun with no pay, lotion, or gratitude.

Moe: Get your throwing stuff! Turn the protest into a riot!
Milhouse: How much for a tomato?
Moe: Fresh stuff for a dollar. Rotten is two bucks.
Kirk: Son, do you really need the rotten? I mean, it's not like you're actually gonna hit him.

Guard: It's time for a cavity search.
Mr. Burns: Oh, I haven't cavity in forty years.
Guard: I wasn't talking about your teeth.
Mr. Burns: Nor was I.

Mr. Burns: And that's where we came in. Now, without further ado, here's what happened next. But first, I'll daydream about a sport utility vehicle, a crispy chicken sandwich, and a wonderful blue pill!


A few moments of note:

- Liked how the prison warden was addicted to 'H' (Helium) Whoa, that's good satire.
- Good to see Smithers running the plant. Bout time he got his cumuppance, (probably very wrong spelling there). It was nice to see him non-chalantly fall through the trap door by Mr. B's desk and just casually come back.
- Nice to see The Plant introduce a medical plan that covers illness, (thanks a lot, Obamacare).
- Smithers taking 'an important call' that was a telemarketing survey. Plus he wanted to go back and change one of his answers from 4 to 5. ("I'm wasting your time?")
- Bart and Lisa's little b-story about raising ants. That was kinda forgettable, but I liked when Santa's Little Helper ate them all - particularly the last one. Oh, that dog.
- Patti and Selma are dead! (Not quite)

On a sidenote, I thought Southpark was an awesome parody of TRON last week. It was all about Facebook and how it's turning us into mindless status-mad drones. (Gee, ya think?) I urge you to check it out. Now that really is good satire.

Feel free to post a few comments. They're free, and oh so refreshing.

See you next week.

D.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment