Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Inglorious Basterds

Just wanted to heap on a bit of praise for my main man, QT, and his kick-ass Inglorious Basterds, which I saw last night.

Not much of a reviewer, so I'll just say nobody does it quite like Tarantino. The man has a style and sensibility all his own and has proven time and again to be unmatched in his ability to adapt to just about any genre. I'd love to see him have a go at sci-fi, or, dare I say it, television.

Every scene in the film was a clinic on how to build tension and, while some might call them self-indulgent or overly long, I thoroughly enjoyed the exchanges, colorful characterizations and juicy subtext.

Love him or hate him, Tarantino loves movies and storytelling in general so much it soaks through every frame of this film. There's a reason so many people, talented or otherwise, want to be him. I wouldn't put myself in that category, but I do admire the hell out of him. His movies, his talent, but most of all, his passion for bringing his own unique visions to life.

Some may say he's peaked, but I for one, await his next flick with high expectation. I have a strong feeling the man's best work is ahead.

D.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment