Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Simpsons Round-up!


Another week, another round-up.

I gotta admit, I was a bit preoccupied last Sunday due to an unexpected fender-bender mere minutes before the opening credits. I was forced to miss it completely for the first time in...lets just say many moons. Sure, I've missed episodes before but not without a contingency plan. This particular incedent caught me with my (figurative) pants down. Not to worry, though, all is well. There was minor damage to my car, but nothing serious where it counts, and repairs are swiftly underway. As for The Simpsons...

Thank heavens for time-shifting.

"Postcards From The Wedge"
03/14/10
When Bart fails to turn in his homework, Mrs. Krabappel sends a letter home about Bart's behavior. Despite Bart's best efforts to intercept it, Homer reads the letter, and he and Marge visit Principal Skinner for a parent-teacher conference. Furious, Homer punishes him, but Marge takes a more sympathetic approach. When Bart realizes he can pit Homer and Marge against each other to his benefit, his scheming reaches new height.

Flyby: Crow, complete with call/Short open.
Couch Gag: The couch is a piƱata broken open by Ralph Wiggum, and OFF spill out when he whacks it.

Here are a few noted highlights:

* House M.D.
The name of the Itchy & Scratchy cartoon Bart is watching is "Mouse M.D." and parodies the TV series House M.D. starring Hugh Laurie.
* The Jetsons
The "educational" film the children watch at the beginning of the episode has several hints of The Jetsons style conveniences and technologies.
* Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Marge suggests that the family eat lunch at a restaurant called Crouching Tiger, Hidden Eggroll, a play on the title of the 2000 Ang Lee action movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.


and some choice dialogue:

Homer: I say this boy needs more homework. I don't have to do it with him, do I?
Principal Skinner: No.
Homer: Pile it on. I want him to be Korean by the time he's done.

Lisa: You would mess up mom and dad's marriage just to get out of doing some homework?
Bart: I would end all life this planet to get out of doing fractions.

Homer: I want to eat at Moe's express.
Marge: The last time you ate there, you spent three nights at the mall jail.
Homer: That was last week and you're still bringing it up!

Marge: I don't mind if you pee in the shower, but only if you're taking a shower.

Homer: We can't let Bart drive us apart, he's the reason we had to get married.

Homer: If you're out of my sight, you must constantly twitter me what you're up to, even though I don't know what twitter is and I have no desire to find out.


I enjoyed it. Okay, I know we've covered a lot of this territory before. Homer and Marge fighting, Bart not doing his homework and trying to manipulate, well...everyone, but the story took a turn when Homer and Marge discovered they liked being neglective parents. Homer, I can see, but Marge? The Springfield Subway system was interesting as well. Why not? The town's infrastructure is set up for damn near everything else. It was also nice to see Bart in school, doing homework for a change. All in all, a relatively grounded story with some solid Simpsons humour sprinkled throughout. I expect to get more and more out of repeat viewings, as is typically the case, (for me, anyway)

Feel free to disagree.

D.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment