Sunday, February 7, 2010

Simpsons Roundup!

Hey now!

Time for another (quick) Simpsons Round-up.

Last week's was called "Million Dollar Maybe" and the synopsis goes as follows:

"Homer blows off Marge to buy a lottery ticket and winds up winning the million-dollar jackpot. Fearing how Marge will react if she finds out the reason Homer missed their date, Homer keeps his newly inherited fortune a secret and spoils his family with anonymous gifts. When Bart finds out, he and Homer spend the money like its going out of style, including buying front row tickets to see Coldplay in concert."


As you may have guessed, Coldplay was in the episode, at least frontman, Chris Martin, not sure about the other lads. I thought the stuff with the wedding toast was kinda corny, but used to great effect for an ending that actually made sense in connection to the beginning. Kudos. I guess we can add millionaire to the list of things Homer has been. Too bad it didn't last. Now that would have made an intereting arc. Hey, there's an idea. Why not try a multi-episode storyline, say three or four, just to shake up the monotony. At least make fun of the concept. I mean, it is the new television standard. I'm sure there's some fun tobe had at it's occasionally-conveluted expense, no? Anyway, back to the episode. To be honest, nothing but the resonably touching ending particularly stands out to me at the moment. It had some nice jokes. I enjoyed Bart manhandling Homer in the zero-grav airplane. Ditto for the groom at the wedding citing Season 2 Madmen as part of the special bond between him and his new blushing bride. Plus, I liked the subplot about Lisa introducing a video game, (a Simpsonized Nintendo Wii - I forget the joke name for it), into the retirement castle for Grandpa, Jasper, Old Jewish Man...and the rest. The nurses destroyed it when the old folks started regaining vigor and their jobs became too hard. Now there's some interesting satire. I mentioned the ending, which had Homer and MArge in a hotair ballon, performing their "Lets Call the Whole Thing Off" duet, which was sweet. It's not often one gets to hear the entire version of that particular classic. It kinda got me thinking about the final scene of the final Simpsons episode. At some point it will happen and I expect to see something fairly emotional, fairly poignant, fairly absured. Marge and Homer flying off in a ballon over Springfield might be interesting. Whatever it is, I know there'll be at least one tear in my eye.

D.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment