Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Simpsons Round-up

Okay, so another new Simpsons last Sunday and another attempt at Simpsons Round-up. As I've stated earlier, I'm not much of a reviewer, but my love for The Simpsons, (warts and all), is undying.

The episode was called "Oh Brother, Where Bart Thou?" and it aired on 12/13/09. Here is the official synpsis:

One snowy day in Springfield, Lisa informs Bart that she and Maggie share a bond that Bart will never understand because he doesn't have a brother, so Bart asks Homer for a baby brother. When Homer denies Bart's request, Bart makes his way to Springfield Orphanage to find what he thinks is missing.


All and all, a pretty decent ep.
As always, I find eps get better with repeated viewings so even if I didn't love it, it typically tends to grow on me. Not to say I didn't enjoy plenty. Off the top of my head what stood out was the dream sequence, (a-la Homer's sleep dream many seasons ago), where Bart goes to sleep babbling no dream could convince him he needed a brother and ends up in Bro-land, (or something like that), and encounters a cavalcade of famous brothers, (featuring a slew of guest voices). Everyone from The Marx brothers, The Manning brothers, (Payton, Eli and lesser known older brother, Cooper), The Blues Brothers, Sideshow Bob and Cecil!, the Super Mario Brothers and The Smothers Brothers, who performed a joke in their signature back-and-forth bickering-style. For me, this was the best part and a great demonstration of how clever and funny The Simpons can still be.

After the dream, Bart becomes obsessed with getting a little brother. This idea, I should mention, was triggered after Lisa teases him he can never know the true bond of sisterhood shared between her and Maggie. I may want to point out, a-la Comic book guy, Bart did have a big brother in Tom, (voiced by the irreplacable Phil Hartman way back in season three), and Homer, of course had Pepsi, ugm, Pepe.

Anyway, after attempts to inspire romance between Homer and Marge, with sexy results; (the Kama Sutra DVD they watch with 'Sextras' was particularly good too), Bart eventually gives up on getting his brother the 'traditional way' and visits the orphanage, which boasts the sign, "Adopt American" out front. But they aren't much help either. Fortunately, a little orphan boy overhears his heartfelt request and decides to break out of the orphanage to be Bart's little brother.

Other highlights for me included Nelson popping Birth Control pills he thinks are 'Tack Ticks', which make him ultra-emotional, the South Park gag, (which was really more an homage than a joke, still...), and the other dream where Bart imagines a third sister, (Kim Catrall), as he carries their shopping bags as they gab about sisterhood and shopping and sex, oh my...

Guess that about does it.
Like I said, there was plenty to love in the ep and with time, it will be sure to blend seamlessly with the rest of the catalogue.

Until next Sunday...

D.A.


P.S. Let me know what you think. Comments are always welcome, (not that I'm desperate or anything)

No comments:

Post a Comment