Saturday, December 26, 2009

Avatar

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in on a quiet little movie that could really use the word of mouth.

So I saw Avatar last night, the latest epic extravaganza from everybody's favourite cinematic uber-visionary, James Cameron and...well...

I was impressed.

I'm far from the authority on James Cameron. I've enjoyed several of his films, but there are most definitely gaps in my knowledge of the man's signature catalogue. Nevertheless, I think it safe to say this was vintage Cameron at his best. The story was good. Functional, but not particularly challenging or surprising. If the talkbackers over at Aintitcoolnews are an indication, (which they probably aren't), I am not alone in listing ways in which the story could have zigged when it invariably zagged. A few characters could have been fleshed out more, I suppose. The Norm character jumps out as a prime example, (for me anyway). There were some hints of tension there, right around the film's midpoint, where hero, Jake seemed to be rubbbing good-natured Norm the wrong way. Also, the Giovanni Ribisi character seemed, at times, a little conflicted morally and, while I liked the understated manner with which this was presented, I would have liked more of a payoff. Something. Anything to suggest he had been affected by this experience. Alas, I do not believe this story was as concerned with growth as it was spectacle. I don't mean that in an irresponsible way. Quite the contrary. It felt like a conscious choice on the part of the storytellers, which is fine.
Now, on to the only part that really matters...
The effects and overall design of this film were nothing short of masterful. That being said, I did not feel they were 'over-the-top' or particularly intrusive to the narrative flow. They served the vehicle nicely; spectacularly is more like it and, if what 'they' say can be relied upon, and this is indeed among the first of a whole new breed of 3D films and inspired storytelling, I think it sets the bar pretty high. Still, the sky is the limit and I would expect someone to come along one of these days to combine the brilliant visual techniques of Cameron with some truly revolutionary storytelling. Guess we'll see. But I'd bet on it.

Either way, I look forward to seeing it again...once all the pixie dust has settled.

D.A.

What did you think of the movie?
Was it everything you hoped for? More? Less?
Maybe you went in without any expectation. (Good for you, by the way).
Tell me what you think. Seriously, I'd love to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment