Saturday, November 21, 2009

Anvil

I just saw a really great documentary called 'Anvil: The Story of Anvil' and I had to come on here and talk about it.

The story surrounds two lifelong friends, Steve Kudlow, ("Lips", to legions of hardcore rockers and most of his friends), and drummer extraorinaire, Robb Reiner, (no, not Meathead), both from Toronto, (which also happens to be my hometown), who decide from the ripe age of fourteen to be rockstars - and, for thirty-plus years, refuse to take obscurity for an answer.
It was directed by their lifelong fan and friend, Sasha Gervasi, who did a fantastic job capturing the essence of these guys, their passion, struggle and enduring friendship, not to mention deep devotion to eachother and to Anvil.

I have to confess, I'd never heard of Anvil before hearing about this movie, which, I understand, has been rocking the festival circuit for some time, but, like most of you, do know fairly well their many high-profile admirers and, dare I say, imitators. Bands like Metallica, Guns and Roses, (more specifically, Slash), Anthrax, Twisted Sister, (ok, they're not so high profile nowadays), Scorpions, and more. In fact, Metallica's Lars Ulrich speaks at length about listening to Anvil as a teenager and rediscovering their many timeless tunes lo these many years later. Songs like "Metal on Metal", "666", "Jackhammer", "Tag Team", "This is my Life", etc. (download a few for yourself and try em out), off an impressive fourteen album discography that includes classic titles like, "Forged In Fire", "Backwaxed", "Hard N' Heavy", "Back to Basics", "Past and Presence", "This is Thirteen", the list goes on and I hardly do it justice.

Okay, before you say it, no, I do not work for the band or have any connection to them whatsoever. The music, though good, quality stuff, isn't why I'm championing these guys so much. It's the movie I most want to recommend. Why?
Well, because at the end of the day, it's a deeply moving, deeply inspiring story of two friends who refuse to give up on a dream and seem to enjoy following it as much, if not more, than it's inevitable manifestation. I liked these guys a lot and could feel their strong passion and unbreakable bond. Perhaps, as someone who knows the cruel sting and, maybe worse, casual numbness that goes with rejection after rejection, setback after maddening setback while the world around you goes on fine and dandy and can't quite understand your devotion, I needed to see there are others out there that go through shit as well, and that, yes, it is possible to come through to the other side - no matter how many times you stumble. Even if you can't quite relate, though, everyone does have their stories and dreams, some realized, many long cast aside. For those people, I urge you to check out this flick. It just might get you banging your heads to a different tune.

D.A.



Want to know more about Anvil?

Check out their site here:

http://my.tbaytel.net/~tgallo@tbaytel.net/anvil/

No comments:

Post a Comment